INTRINSIC Teaching Approach
What is sustainable entrepreneurship, that we are aiming to educate for?
Sustainable entrepreneurship can be seen as activities, where people with an entrepreneurial mindset engage in identifying, evaluating, developing and implementing ideas, projects, innovations etc. that lead to sustainable development. In the case of INTRINSIC an additional strong focus is on the SDGs. Sustainable entrepreneurship activities in general can be structured along two levels – a basic one and a strong one.
- In its basic form sustainable entrepreneurship is entrepreneurial activity considering economic, psychological, social, and environmental consequences and by this is not undermining the ecological, social and economic environments in which they operate.
- In its more expressed form sustainable entrepreneurship is aiming at solving problems related to sustainability and to create social, environmental and economic sustainability as a strategic objective and purpose by the discovery, creation, and exploitation of entrepreneurial opportunities that contribute to sustainability by generating social, environmental and economic gains for others in society.
- Horizon 1: Continue Business as Usual
- Horizon 3: Vision of a Viable Future
- Horizon 2: Innovation towards the Vision
INTRINSIC’s goal is to empower Life Science Teachers to stimulate the development of a sustainable entrepreneurial mindset in their students, that motivates and enables them to
- contribute towards the vision (the SDGs) at horizon 3 by
- ideas, projects, innovations etc. in horizon 2 - by at the same time
- avoiding non-sustainable innovations that might contribute to destructive business as usual – horizon 1 activities.
- interpersonal interaction,
- for embracing diversity and interdisciplinary,
- for systems thinking,
- for strategic action,
- for normative judgement and
- for foresighted thinking (Ploum et al. 2018).
- the active identification of an idea, opportunity and development of an artefact (idea, mashup, prototype etc.), and
- collaboration/interaction/exchange between students, teachers and potential stakeholders